In the context of the local elections to be held on September 26, 2021, we disclose the information concerning the electoral rights and requirements for voter registration of immigrant communities residing in Portugal.
Who can vote?
According to Declaration No. 29/2021 of the Diário da República no. 59/2021, may vote in the elections, as long as you they registered in the census of the national territory:
- All Portuguese citizens;
- European Union Nationals (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania and Sweden);
- UK nationals with residence in Portugal prior to Brexit;
- Citizens of Brazil and Cape Verde with legal residence in Portugal for over two years;
- Citizens of Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Iceland, Norway, New Zealand, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela with legal residence in Portugal for over three years.
Documents necessary to register to vote:
- Valid residence permit – European Union Citizen Registration Certificate (CRCUE), Residence Card (CR), Residence Permit (AR) – if you are an European Union national or the United Kingdom national with residence in Portugal, prior to Brexit;
- Proof of minimal time of residence in Portugal
- O-cial declaration, specifying:
- nationality and address in the national territory;
- If applicable, the electoral roll of the circle or local municipality of the State of origin where you were last registered.
In the case of nationals outside the EU, this Declaration should also include that your right to vote in the state of origigin has not been revoked.
How can I register?
You must register with the parish council of your area of residence indicated in the valid residence permit, as soon as possible, until 27th of July 2021, the 60th day before the day of the election.
If you have acquired Portuguese nationality and reside in Portugal, the registration is automatic when you pick up your citizen card.