It is believed that one of the causes of the requests for Portuguese nationality increased are the legislative changes that have been introduced since 2015, these being:
- Children of immigrants born in national territory, have the right to Portuguese nationality, provided that one of the parents has been legally resident in the country for more than two years;
- Children born in Portugal, children of undocumented immigrants may become Portuguese once they have completed the first cycle and one of the parents has resided in Portugal for more than 5 years;
- Grandchildren of Portuguese born abroad can now apply for their original nationality (which they could only obtain by naturalization), thus opening the range not only to the grandchildren but also to their descendants, who were previously not entitled. You can read more here.
However, we also know that there have been other factors contributing to the increase, notably those relating to political issues and the situation in the applicants’ country of origin:
- The Brazilians continue to lead the table of those who become Portuguese;
- Brits living in Portugal for more than 5 years began to apply for nationality in 2016, the year that Brexit was approved;
- In Venezuela, with the crisis that the country is experiencing, more and more people are seeking the Portuguese consulate in Caracas, asking for citizens’ cards, passports and requests for citizenship.
If you want to know more about how to acquire Portuguese nationality, contact us.