Take the test here to see if you are entitled to a residence visa .
A new legal amendment came into force today that aims to simplify the legalization of those who intend to obtain a residence permit to work in Portugal.
Under the terms of the previous law, the requirements for those who, having not entered Portugal with the working visa, wanted, after arriving in Portugal, to exercise a subordinate professional activity, were:
- Comply with the general conditions for obtaining a residence permit in Portugal;
- Make a statement of interest to SEF in this regard;
- Have a contract of employment or promise of employment contract or have a labor relationship proven by union, representative of migrant communities with seat in the Council for Migration or by the Authority for the Conditions of Work;
- Be enrolled in Social Security;
- Have entered lawfully in Portugal.
The new legal amendment allows a foreign worker who has no way of proving his or her legal entry into Portugal, or who has entered Portugal illegally, nevertheless, obtain the residence permit for work if he proves that he has the regularized tax situation before Social Security for at least 12 months.
That is, all those who are in an illegal situation in Portugal (that is, without a valid residence permit) and that they carry out a subordinate profession, with a work contract and with their situation regularized before the Social Security, can now legalize themselves .
The same applies to foreign workers who are self-employed in Portugal. The new legal amendment also allows them, even if they have no way of proving their legal entry into Portugal, or have entered Portugal illegally, to obtain a residence permit if they prove that they have the situation regularized before Social Security, 12 months.