Tech Visa is a certification program aimed at companies with its head office or permanent establishment in Portugal, to simplify the granting of a visa or residence permit to highly qualified nationals of countries outside the European Union who wish to develop their activity there.
Note: Company certification is valid for two years and renewable for equal periods.
Without prejudice to compliance with other legal requirements that are applicable, requests from companies under Tech Visa Program are evaluated and selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Be legally constituted;
- Not having debts to social security and tax administration;
- Absence of overdue salary;
- Not be considered companies under restructuring;
- Identify in the application the technical areas of qualification preferably desired under the “Tech Visa” program, according to the National Catalogue of Qualifications;
- In the case of companies established more than three years ago, have a positive net situation, evidenced in the last Simplified Business Information (IES) available;
- Develop an activity of production of internationalizable goods and services;
- Obtain a positive evaluation of the application in the following evaluation criteria:
a) Market potential;
b)Guidance for external markets.
For highly skilled workers:
Highly skilled workers must meet the following requirements:
- Be a third-country citizen and do not reside permanently in the European Union;
- Have the contributory situation regularized towards the tax administration and social security, where applicable;
- Do not have a criminal record;
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Engage in highly qualified activity demonstrated by complying with one of the following requirements.
a) Having a minimum level VI qualification level in accordance with ISCED -2011;
b) In the case of workers with a qualification level V, professional higher technical course, in accordance with ISCED-2011, must demonstrate possessing specialized technical skills of an exceptional nature, obtained through minimum experience of 5 years;
c) Employment contract or promise of employment contract of minimum duration of 12 months;
- Have a minimum annual salary equivalent to 2,5 times the Social Support Index;
- Possess proficiency of the Portuguese, English, French or Spanish language appropriate to the functions to be performed.
Note: The companies of the interior wishing to benefit from this program can simultaneously hire up to 80% of workers under Tech Visa. The remaining companies may not exceed 50%.
- Acquiring the certification, the company can issue terms of responsibility to highly qualified foreign workers who intend to hire, being no longer necessary to obtain a prior opinion issued by the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., who previously competed to classify the activity as qualified, thus speeding up the process with the competent entities.
For highly skilled workers:
- To enter and stay in Portugal and other countries that are part of the Schengen area without the need for a visa;
- Family reunification;
- Access to a residence permit;
- Reconciling your residence permit with the Non-Habitual Resident Status (NHR);
- To Portuguese nationality (at the end of 5 years).
If you need more information, please contact us here, or use the form below.