Among the various rights that the holder of a residence permit acquires is family reunification, that is, to reunite his/her family in Portugal.
Resident family members are considered:
- The spouse or unmarried partner;
- Minor or incapacitated children in charge of the couple or one of the spouses or one of the unmarried partner;
- Minors adopted by the applicant when not married, by the applicant or the spouse, as a result of a decision of the competent authority of the country of origin, provided that the law of that country recognizes the adopted rights and duties identical to those of natural filiation and that decision is recognized by Portugal;
- Older children, dependent on the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and are studying at an educational institution in Portugal;
- Older children, dependent on the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and are studying, whenever the holder of the right to reunification has a residence permit granted under the Golden Visa;
- Parents and In-laws and of the resident or his/her spouse, as long as they are in charge;
- Minor siblings, provided that they are under the resident’s guardianship, in accordance with a decision issued by the competent authority of the country of origin and provided that this decision is recognized by Portugal.
Note: Family reunification with a minor or incapacitated child of one of the spouses depends on the authorization of the other parent or on the decision of a competent authority according to which the child has been entrusted to him.
Family members outside Portugal
Citizens with valid residence permits are entitled to family reunification with family members who are outside the national territory, who have lived with him in another country, who depend on him/her or who cohabit with him/her, regardless of whether family ties are previous or after entry into Portugal.
Family members in Portugal
Citizens with a valid residence permit are entitled to family reunification with family members who have legally entered Portugal and who depend on or cohabit with the holder of a valid residence permit, regardless of whether family ties are before or after entry into Portugal.
If you need more information, please contact us here, or use the form below.