The proposal for Law nº 19/XV was voted in favor today, which makes the 10th amendment to Law nº 23/2007 of 4 July (Foreigners Law) which provides, among other things, for the creation of a new type of visa: the visa for family grouping.
What is a family grouping visa?
The visa for family grouping is intended to accompany family members of the applicant for a residence visa, and applications can be raised simultaneously.
Who can get a family grouping visa?
The following are considered family members of the applicant for a residence visa:
- The spouse or common-law partner;
- Minor or incapable children in the care of the couple or of one of the spouses or of one of the partners;
- Minors adopted by the applicant when not married, by the applicant or by the spouse, as a result of a decision by the competent authority of the country of origin, provided that the law of that country recognizes the rights and duties adopted for the adopted person as being identical to those of natural parentage and that the decision is recognized by Portugal;
- Adult children, dependent on the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and who are studying in an educational establishment in Portugal;
- Adult children, in the charge of the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and who are studying, provided that the holder of the right to regroup has a residence permit granted under the Golden Visa;
- Ascendants in the straight line and in the 1st degree of the resident or his/her spouse, provided that they are in their charge;
- Minor siblings, provided that they are under the guardianship of the resident, in accordance with a decision issued by the competent authority of the country of origin and provided that this decision is recognized by Portugal.
After the present approval of the referred draft law, the subsequent legislative procedure will be followed up, which, from the outset, will culminate, in the near future, in the publication of the referred legislative amendment in the Diário da República and subsequent entry into force of the referred amendment. There will still be room for the necessary legislative regulation.